Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Cold Pool

A starry night is ending so we had something from the Greenland High:


The air above the Icelandic Low is driven by the relative calm of the gyre beneath it, small warm fronts distant to the cold surrounding allows the air to rise but in the wrong direction.


Anticyclones are designed to fall bringing cold air with them from above but until this night they were filled with warm air blocking any falling hance the interminable overcast.


Until they finally escape. The North American Blocking High is still there:


Making everything cold damp and thus colder until it forms troughs and riges that can squeeze past each other, altogether unsatisfying.


This weather brings cyclones tornadoes, I mean. Just the one so far thankfully. The eye of the Icelandic Low passed between Greenland and Spain

I will try and remember Florida for next time:



Do you think the Americans will ever get file extensions sorted out?
.gif.png that has been confusing us for years. Just pick one will you!

I have asked god to tell me where these things are going to crop up:
M 6.7. 141km NNE of Palue, Indonesia 2017-10-24 10:47(UTC) 7.236°S 123.040°E so I suppose I will have to be nice until then. (Unless he waits to see how long I can be nice for.)

With this weather or the volcanoes or whatever the cause, the magnitudes are a magnitude or so lower than could be. It will be nice to get some idea or where and when before the magnitudes increase as the cycle swings back.

You can tell when an eruption is due but again, not where. How does one ask hard enough?
Or am I missing the obvious?*
The angles that the line of the sequence makes on the globe indicates the region quite nicely. They tend to swing toward the direction from the Gulf of Alaska

There is a temporary line of three cyclones on the NA-EFS forecast for tomorrow. They are still reasonably accurate at 24 hours out. But I get the impression the NA-EFS is overloaded with information or not capable of its distribution on time, or something.

A line of three along the latitude means on the American side, and three adjacent Lows should mean at least a Magnitude Seven. Don't count on it. The preferred escapement after a large tropical storm (IAN) is swarms.

There are so many more "pairs of adjacent" of either Lows or Highs, that I am certain I would have had time to get an handle on them by now. Small magnitudes never appealed to me. IIRC, I was just stuck on the idea that larger earthquakes would be more notoceable and never considered the bigger picture.

Sorry about that, now you know what to look for there is nothing to stop you or anyone else posting about them. Which is a good thing as I still can't be bothered. (The last time I tried I got banned from reddit/geology -my only qualification in this field. That and success, so it's not all bad.)

The epicentre will be 80 degrees from the point where it became a TS; along some part of the coast between the Aleutians and Indonesia. And that is the best I can do. I am sure god can do better than that. Maybe sombody better than me should ask?

*II was just pasting my second tweet on this:
"Look for pairs of adjacent Lows or Highs, that indicate M6 earthquakess, maybe some 80 degrees from the epicentre." and thinking the 80 degrees radius is a long line for a large chunk of North America, when I got the explanation for straight lines of recent epicentres.

I am sure you can guess what it must mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment