Tuesday, July 25, 2017

This will do your head in

This will do your head in, it's done mine. It will be weeks before I can think of anything else:

I was thinking was the term smoothness and wondered if it had anything to do with Navier Stokes' Equations. I'm buggered if I know even now.

Especially now!

I had noticed these regions of calm between polar (rotating) air masses some time ago. What I made of them is that they seemed to appear prior to earthquakes(?)

I am not sure I recall what I associated them with but they appear on the Met Office chart of the North Atlantic from time to time and I remember taking an interest in them.

I believe I concluded that if the significant frontal system connected two polar masses then the phenomenon likely generated along such a line would be aerial.

If they landed or started from outside a polar point then (I believe that I thought) it would portend a large earthquake. I had no idea at that time what the meteorological signals for volcanic eruptions were, thus I am confident this must have been my line of thought.

The circle in the above chart is the centre between two polar points (rotating air masses.) They differ from cols in that a col is surrounded by alternating polar points of Cyclonic and Anticyclonic air masses. Both phenomena look something like this:



There is an identical one, some way south of the other dual in the series. And the set-up has continued since I first started collecting screen grabs of them from nullschool a few days ago. These are from today, the 25th of July 2017:

 https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-197.66,25.37,476



https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-112.41,9.87,476

When a cyclone rubs up against a shore the result is a triangle with the apex along the landward (less fluid?) side. 
When the outflow can run to sea the result is a line of calm air, no doubt due to the heat content of the salt fall out being carried off by the ocean current.

Any plethora of highs and Lows is indicative of a volcanic explosion if it all appears overnight:

Especially if there are lots of not very high Highs. You can look up "North Atlantic Oscillation" for all the good it will do you.


But it would be more productive to attempt finding more charts showing the track to the source of these weather fronts in the south-east. (Or you could try forwarding to here from Guatemala.)

Hell, what do I know?
I'm just an armchair philosopher:

Worldwide Volcano News and Updates:
(Jul 2017) | Jun 2017 | May 2017 | archive
Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 02:00
Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 01:45
Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Tokyo (VAAC) issued the following report: more  Karymsky volcano
Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 23:15
Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Darwin (VAAC) issued the following report: more Sinabung volcano

No comments:

Post a Comment