Friday, August 04, 2017

The Centre of the World

When I unwittingly discovered the hexagonal nature of criticality, decades ago, I came up with the problem of why the Met Office was so gifted as the heart of the Empire. All my work has, perforce, been empirical coincidentally. I think this is why I may have been chosen, as much as for my autistic ability to stick with a problem I know is wrong and attempt to right it, come what may.

I can't claim genius in knowing what is startlingly obvious when it happens that I started out as totally ignorant and just asked god to fill in the pieces for me. Sitting in the pissoir just now I was contemplating my said ignorance, when it occurred to me that we had not had a Blocking High with Noru.
I had gone to bed last night wondering why we had not had a Blocking Low.

A Block at sea level occurs, in the Atlantic, whenever we have a Tropical Storm. If the relevant storm or storms are insignificant,that is never develop wind speeds above Category 3, the teleconnection in the North Atlantic remains a Blocking Low.

Usually this is a stuck weather pattern that sits in the middle of the Atlantic growing and diminishing as the opposite number in the Indian or Pacific tropics, for the duration of the hurricane or typhoon. It would seem with this recent series that such drama can not take place when the originals are strung out all along the tropics. This has been a first for me and now, I produce the missing piece:

When a tropical storm reaches a category 4 or 5 the Blocked situation reaches Blocking High. I am ill and getting old; all I wondered about, for most of this last spell was when will the volcano erupt? and will it be an earthquake instead? I forgot the important stuff:


The Blocking. The stuck system is obviously a low.


I paid no more attention to it than that. All the ancillary polar points just meant good weather -as we all know by now.


I missed Noru's development as a Blocking High in the North Atlantic because I wasn't looking for it.


See how easily a mere mortal becomes misguided, looking to fulfil his own desires?


I wanted to see the development of the significant volcanic eruption signal.


When I should have been looking for the Blocking High. And here we have the reason for the depression that set poor FitzRoy in the barber's chair.


He must have gone nuts with depression trying to make all the pieces fit. I doubt that he ever could have tumbled on the root cause of criticality, poor devil.



The loneliness of command followed him into retirement. I would take back all I have learned just to read it in a text book and acknowledge Admiral FitzRoy as le expert nonpareil.


Too bad. But anyway, this is Noru out to t+120 but it will not be a Tropical Storm past the ninth:


At least it all affords a chance for my numerous fan or even fans? to watch the display evolve. And maybe explain why it is smaller storms that provide the larger earthquakes.

So now do I go back to bed or rush out to meet the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment