Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Dyscalculia

I remember the maths teacher beating or trying to beat Pythagoras' Theorem into me. I was terrified because I didn't know that the beatings would stop when he eventually realised he was wasting his time. I was about 12 and not very smart.

I vaguely recall being frightened at seeing the maths I wouls be expecter tpo learn in my last year at Junir school. Had I known what was waiting for me when I turned 11 I wouldn't have even tried to get into Grammar School. I laugh now when I think of my father's disgust as he struggled to teach me to count.

I used to try my best but I knew he would give up and I don't recall him ever hitting me for being an idiot.

You might think that such a victim as I would have more patience with people who can not realise that energy levels transform in the exact same way as electromagnetism does.

But I don't.

It has only just occurred to me that I might.

When I had a stroke a mental collapse caused by oxygen starvation brought about by a blood-clot, I was given some exercises to work on (simple mental exercises that reveal the prognosis.) I couldn't be arsed with the maths. Going through my stuff having a clear of of the collected rubbish of a wasted life, I came across a maths book. Wondering how much I could follow, I picked it up.

I can follow the concepts for finding volumes but I doubt I will ever try to gauge any of them accurately not even attempt to. The Cosine rule is beyond me as is the Sine rule although I recall that "a squared plus b squared equals c squared". You can be proud of that Mr Pollard. Much good it does either of us by now.

I am not far from being a cabbage -save one defining thought: I can still forecast earthquakes and I can hear volcanoes erupting.

Can you?

I also forecast these:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/170825_rpts.html
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/170826_rpts.html
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/170827_rpts.html
although I admit, I was expecting more:
http://weatherlawyer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/singularities.html

What can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment